New Year Resolutions
Seasons Greetings all. After being on a writing low, I spent last month immersed in National Novel Writing Month where I passed my 50k word target. This reminded me why I write, because I love it! It gave me food for thought and, as promised, I decided to make some writing resolutions to change things.
1. Nano showed me I work best to targets and deadlines. Therefore, each week I will set myself a ‘words to write’ deadline, depending on my commitments that week.
2. I will diarise writing time as an appointment. First thing in a morning seems an ideal time, leaving the rest of the day free.
3. I need to recognise that on the days I work, because I work at a computer; those days are NOT writing days. When I get home I need a break.
4. I’m going to continue something I’ve done for a while now. This works well for me and it was advice I picked up from another column. On Fridays I clear my Inbox (to the best of my ability) and on Sundays I read any articles I’ve saved.
5. I need to prepare for my book signings. Think about what I’m taking, where I’m staying.
6. My current book writing list (subject to amendment, depending on inner voices!)
- Finish Ronnie’s Story (Alphabet spin off)
- Write an Alphabet Novella (secret topic)
- Write three-part novella series called Mine (again top secret)
- Write third Alphabet spin off – the story of Arnie.
- Write Bad Boy with a Dragon Tattoo – Underneath spin off about Sebastian.
Not much then. I’d better start writing!
Thank you for all your support during 2014. This was the year that:-
- In April I self-published my first novella The Alphabet Game and this happened.
- From April to July I released a further three novellas, and then the book as a complete edition.
- In September I released a second book Underneath.
- I sold a short story to Cracked Eye for upcoming publication.
- I had a poem shortlisted to the final six in Writing Magazine.
We’ll see what 2015 brings.
Happy New Year.
Andie M. Long is a bonkers mother of one, who spends most of her time, when not working as a Research Administrator/Medical Secretary on Facebook. She has a long suffering partner. Author of the erotic novel The Alphabet Game and drama/suspense Underneath, she has several published short stories and poems; including an upcoming release for Cracked Eye.